Meatless Monday: Raw Nut Meat Tacos

Howdy folks! Did you have a good weekend? The weather was gorgeous (not today though, it’s raining) and I took a trip down to Austin to say a few words to prospective students at The Natural Epicurean (where I went to culinary school). I was shocked there were over 50 people at the open house! And they were from all walks of life, male, female, all different ages. I met one girl still in college and one guy was taking early retirement so he could pursue his new passion in life. It was all very exciting to see the future of wellness practitioners. Now onto the tacos I showed you on Facebook last week!

I first heard about raw taco meat from my friend Ani Phyo. Seemed like a brilliant idea. Then Chic Vegan posted a delightful recipe that ended up on the lunch buffet at Vida Vegan Con. It was goooood. To tell you the truth I hadn’t thought about it since, but doing a raw food cleanse last week it suddenly hit me on the way home from a client’s house to make nut meat. I called up my dad to have him start soaking the nuts (thanks dad), so I could make it that evening.

I will tell you another truth. I totally forgot to write down what I put in this recipe. I was so hungry and so excited to eat something other than juice, that I threw it all in the food processor and shoved it down my throat. I didn’t even take the photo until the next day (when there was light and I wasn’t starving). But, I think I have the ingredients correct. This makes A LOT of nut meat, so if you are just serving yourself or 2 people I’d probably cut it in half or you’ll be eating tacos for days like I did. I didn’t mind it though. I really love these tacos. Or it could have been that I was juicing and eating raw all last week and my taste buds were super peaked. You be the judge and please tell me what you think after you make them!

I’ve sort of become obsessed with lettuce leaf tacos. Not only does it save calories to skip the tortilla, it’s just delicious. Maybe not as filling, but if you fill it with some sort of protein food (which I always do, either hummus, seasoned tofu or tempeh or any other “meat”) and lots of veggies you’ll be good to go. You can even serve it with some soup or a whole grain to make a more complete meal. Choose a lettuce that has a wide leaf or the outer layers of romaine lettuce. Of course you can always use a collard leaf for this too (though they are a bit more fibrous).

Raw Nut Meat Tacos

Lettuce leaves
Tomatoes
Avocado
Carrot
Cucumber
Salsa
Whatever you like on your tacos

Raw Nut Taco Meat
Makes about 2 cups “meat”

1 cup almonds soaked 2 hours
1 cup walnuts soaked 2 hours
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
Dash garlic powder (or fresh garlic to your liking)
Dash cinnamon
Dash cayenne (for a spicy meat)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon tamari (if you are soy-free use a dash of sea salt to season)

Directions:
Nuts can be soaked together. After 2 hours drain nuts. Blend in a food processor (not blender) for about 20-30 seconds to get the nuts chopped well. Add the rest of the meat ingredients and blend scrapping down the edges of the bowl a few times to incorporate all the ingredients. Blend until your preferred level of chunkiness. I like my meat crumbly and not a smooth paste (see photo). Season with salt if needed. Pile the meat into the lettuce leaf with toppings and enjoy!

If almond skins gross you out use peeled almonds for this.

What would you put in your raw tacos? Share with us some examples of delish taco options!

Posted in Lunch/Dinner Ideas, Protein, Raw, Recipes on 01/09/2012 02:59 am

28 Comments

1. Wow this sounds delicious and even looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe!

2. Sweet potatoes and zucchini! ON EVERYTHING EVERY DAY!

3. Great recipe!  I have most of the ingredients on hand and some napa cabbage leaves I need to use.  This was great timing, I needed a quick healthy recipe to put together before we go watch LSU win the national championship!  Not much vegan food at sports bars, at least not yet.

4. Oh these look SO good! I would add a bit of paprika, a bit of red pepper flakes, a bit of onion powder and oregano as well :)

I think I'll make these for dinner tonight, though I'm out of walnuts, I have some nice pecans, that might make an interesting switch :)

Thanks for the recipe, it is going to be so nice to have a raw taco for the first time in a while.

5. I didn't know people were grossed out by almond skins :)

Looks great! I've never made a 'raw' taco and like the idea of using nuts. I am always looking for soy-subs. Thanks for posting.

6. Aww I wish I had known you were going to speak at the Natural Epicurean!

I love the idea of their program, but the cost is astronomical (no federal aid can be used & the scholarships they give out don't offset enough of the cost for me). I have no idea how I would be able to afford it. Additionally, besides the blissful chef and two other women who seem to work as a team they feature very few successful students on their website.

Did you know if students receive a lot of support after the program in terms of finding employment? How should interested students think about covering the cost of the school? Do you think your time their was a necessary component to your success and career?

7. It does look yummy! WIll try it for sure! :)

8. How long can u keep the nut meat for in the fridge?

9. I just made these and they are amazing! A little to spicy for me, so I'll do without the cayenne next time:P Wonderful recipe, thanks:)

• Awesome I’m so glad you enjoyed it! It’s so quick and easy, it’s my go-to summer lunch. A dash goes a long way with cayenne so you can just leave it out.

10. Joanne Clark

Great recipe! I've been craving raw taco's since my husband and I happily wondered into the Ukiah Brewing Company. I have tried these using both almonds and walnuts combined, as well as with brazil nut and cashew. All work great with slightly different but pleasant results. I added (although not considered raw) a dash of smoked paprika and dehydrated onion. These are amazing on a red cabbage leaf. The cabbage holds together very well. Homemade pico and sliced avocado made these a satisfying meal all on there own.

11. Jennifer Marks

These were amazing! My family loved them! I made them with organic tortillas and they were delicious! Thanks for sharing!

12. Colette Hylan

This recipe is really good, but excellent when serviced with tomato salsa!
    I really enjoyed it! Thanks.